Change for our Community
Started in January of 2014, The Merc Co+op's Change for our Community Program gives shoppers the opportunity to donate their pocket change to local community organizations each time they shop. Each month, The Merc Co+op chooses a different Change recipient and all donations collected that month go to that specific organization.
Since January 2014, our Change program has raised over $150,000 for 28 different local organizations.
Together, we have helped fund a number or worthwhile needs and projects, including:
- the purchase of special communication devices for children who do not have a voice or who are delayed in speaking (Tiny K Early Intervention, October 2015)
- tuition scholarships for Douglas County children in need (Positive Bright Start, March 2016)
- providing for the immediate needs of those seeking shelter, including fresh, healthy food (Willow Domestic Violence Center, May 2016)
THERE ARE 3 WAYS TO CONTRIBUTE TO CHANGE:
- Round Up: Round the amount of your order up to the next dollar and the difference will be redirected to this month's Change recipient.
- Change Jars: Drop your spare change into the jars at our cash registers.
- Bag Refunds: Bring your own bag, and the 5 cent bag refund will be redirected to the Change recipient.
At The Merc Co+op we are deeply committed to our community. We respect and support the many organizations, schools and churches that help make Lawrence such a strong and vibrant place to live. Each year we receive hundreds of requests for donations from these organizations – all with valid and pressing needs. Due to the volume of requests we receive, we have created a procedure for requesting a donation. Following the steps outlined in our Donation Application will make it easier for your organization to make a request, and will allow us to more fairly consider each request we receive.
To be considered as a donation recipient, please complete our Donation Application at the link below and return it to The Merc Co+op attention Nancy O'Connor, Education and Outreach Director.