Now in it’s 29th year, the Naturally Nutritious Food Festival is an annual cooking contest with a variety of categories for adults and children. Join us at this year’s event on Wednesday, August 1 during the free fair at the Douglas County Fairgrounds in Building 21. Contest entries will be accepted between 6 p.m. and 7 p.m. and must be accompanied by a recipe. Judging begins at 7 p.m.
For official contest rules, visit www.dgcountyfair.com. Additional questions can be directed to Nancy O’Connor at The Merc Co+op at 785-843-8544.
1. Fresh Salsa (no home-canned salsas, please)
2. Kansas Cuisine (any recipe using four or more ingredients grown or raised in Kansas*)
3. International Cuisine
4. Main Dish featuring locally raised Meat
5. Meatless Main Dish
6. Healthy Dessert made with Fresh Fruit
*Please indicate on your submitted recipe card which ingredients meet the requirements of the category.
Young Chef Categories+
7. Healthy Snack featuring Fresh Fruit
8. Healthy Snack featuring Fresh Vegetables
+These classes are for chefs ages 12 and under. Children are welcome to enter open categories as well.