News & Events
Cooperating For Kids
Box Tops for Education is America’s #1 school fundraiser. For more than 20 years, clipping and collecting Box Tops has resulted in more than $819 million in much-needed funding for over 80,000 schools. This August, NCG-member co-ops around the nation will help collect Box Tops for their local schools. The program is simple:
- Purchase these Box Top affiliated products: Cascadian Farms cereals and granola bars and Annie’s cereals, crackers pastas and fruit snacks.
- Clip the Box Tops from each package.
- Deposit the Box Tops in the box at our customer service desk or collect them and donate to the school of your choice.
Then, your co-op will work with the school’s Box Tops Coordinator to submit them. Schools receive 10¢ for every Box Top and a check for the funds will be mailed to them this December.
Lawrence Food Garden Tour & Shred Day
From 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. Growing Food Growing Health will open its West Middle School Garden for visitors, and Mainstreet Credit Union, the garden’s most generous sponsor, will provide free, secure on-site shredding for co-op owners and credit union members.
January 19, 2017
The Future Looks Bright
by Kelly Barth, Board Member
One of our Ends states that our co-op will be on the forefront of “Building a community based on hospitality, generosity and care for the environment.” To this end, your board of directors is learning about the potential of adding solar panels to our property. We are excited and hopeful for a number of reasons.
- Depending on the scale of our project, we could generate a significant portion of the co-op’s annual electrical needs.
- The project would pay for itself in a reasonable timeframe.
- Solar energy would significantly reduce our carbon footprint.
Stay tuned to our website and to the Board’s Owner Connections emails for future updates on this “bright” new opportunity!
JANUARY 4, 2017
Library Cafe Opens
Launched in January 2017, The Merc Co+op Cafe - located in the lobby of the Lawrence Public Library - allows library patrons and the downtown community to enjoy Merc Made food and beverages.
The cafe is open until 6 p.m. each day and offers a variety of Merc Made coffees, teas and juices as well as popular bakery and deli items like scones, cookies, sandwiches, salads, yogurt parfaits and fruit cups.
Co-op owners will receive patronage for all purchases made at the library, senior owners will receive 5% off purchases each Tuesday, and co-op coupons will be honored just as they are at our 901 Iowa location.