Everyone can shop. Anyone can own.
Becoming an owner of The Merc Co+op is an investment in a consumer-owned cooperative business that brings health to our local community. Join more than 7,700 of your friends and neighbors in supporting a local business that provides a reliable source of healthy, local and organic products while also investing in the sustainability and well-being of our community. At The Merc Co+op, everyone is welcome and anyone can become an owner.
- Invest in a local business that puts people before profit and supports the health and well-being of our community.
- Help create a vibrant local economy that supports local producers, suppliers and other organizations.
- Enjoy real food and sustainable products, including over 1,500 locally produced products.
- Participate in a cooperative business where you have a voice.
- Exclusive owner discounts on shopping trips during Owner Appreciation Days.
- Receive patronage rebates proportional to the amount you spent at the co-op during profitable fiscal years.
- Senior owners, ages 62 and up, receive a 5% discount on purchases made each and every Tuesday.
- Free subscription to our quarterly publication, Connections, as well as our weekly e-news.
- Discounted rates for display ads in Connections, the co-op's newsletter.
- Check cashing for up to $40 over the amount of purchase.
- Opportunity to participate in focus groups and surveys to help shape the co-op’s future.
- Vote in our annual Board of Director elections.
- Eligibility to run for an open seat on the Board of Directors.
- Access to the co-op's financial standing and future plans.
- Invitation to the Annual Co-op Meeting to enjoy food and drink with the board and learn about the health and future of our co-op.
How to Become an Owner
Complete an ownership application and return it to your cashier during your next shopping trip or mail it back to us at the address below. In addition to your application, there are three options for which you can purchase your share:
- Make a one-time purchase of an ownership share for $75.
- Pay for your share in three $25 installments.
- Apply for MercShare ownership subsidy. Co-op shoppers currently enrolled in the Kansas or Missouri Food Assistance Program (formerly Food Stamps, SNAP) and/or Women, Infants and Children (WIC) are eligible. MercShare owners are also eligible for MercShare+, a 10% discount on all purchases.
Owners applying in store will receive their new owner packet immediately which contains an owner card with owner number, a share certificate, exclusive new owner coupons and a reusable shopping bag. Ownership applications completed by mail will receive new owner packets by mail.
Ownership in Action
Provide your ownership card or number to your cashier on each shopping trip to earn patronage points. Patronage points are how the co-op tracks your participation within the co-op. Owners will receive patronage rebates proportional to the amount spent at the co-op during profitable fiscal years.
Enjoy your benefits and stay informed of specials and sales by keeping the co-op updated with your contact information including address, phone and email. To update your information, contact our Owner Services Coordinator at 785-843-8544 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Or, fill out the form below.